Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Governor X's Kitchen: Marukai Mysteries (Saba Kabayaki)

With American Idol gone, we here at Skynet must turn our attention to new things. I'm going to refocus on eating strange food. I love fish, so what better section to start in than the fish section of Marukai Japanese market. I bought a variety of fresh fish items I can barely identify and this odd little can. I'll get back to the fresh fish later in the series, but tonight I needed a snack so this can found its way on my menu.


Mackerel comes in a can? Broiled? With sugar and soy sauce? Since I was raised by white folks, I was never exposed to such things.


The first thing you notice when you open the can is how strong the smell is. If fishy smells bother you, stay out of cheap Pahrump brothels and avoid this can. Pressing on, I discover the mackerel is quite solid. It comes out of the can in one big ass chunk.


I taste it...and shockingly enough, its not bad. Its teetering on being oddly good, but I can't really make that leap. It is far sweeter than I expected, like cheap mall teriyaki, but the fish itself is decent. I ended up eating about 3/4ths of the can.

Next on the Marukai Mystery Menu, kinki rockfish! Its red and white.

Be the first Skynet user to comment on this ground breaking article!

  ©Skynet: California. Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top