Saturday, July 18, 2009

In Defense of "Rock Lawns"

Recently on the Facebook, while I was waiting for a plane at Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix, I mused that I'd like to stay there (Phoenix, not the airport). To those who know me well, this really isn't news, but it was still met with stale remarks about the heat and "rock lawns".

Newsflash: Southern California needs more "rock lawns" too.

First, its called xeriscape, not a "rock lawn". The concept is simple: If you live somewhere without much water, don't put shit in your yard that requires large amounts of it like, oh I don't know, grass... Fascinating yes? According to the EPA, 7 billion gallons of water are used a day to water your precious lawn.

Second, Southern California doesn't have much water. It doesn't rain much, we don't have any of our own, and lets face it, we can't steal it from NorCal and the Owen's Valley forever. If you care to find out just how screwed we are water wise, I suggest you grab a copy of Cadillac Desert. Read it, learn it, and then give your mockery of "rock lawns" another look.

1 Comentário:

Finski said...

I understand your amity for Zona, Gov, but Judas ... I hate that place so powerfully it's scary. I just have had bad experiences every time I've traipsed on the Gadsden Purchase.

  ©Skynet: California. Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top