Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cold Weather Sucks

I've never been a fan of cold weather and living in California has generally spared me from the worst of it. Basically, below 65 I start to get a chill and wish for warmer weather.

Recently I visited Chicago. As you may have guessed, it was a bit colder there than in good old SoCal. Temperatures generally hovered in the 15-20 range. Its a real pain in the ass because you can't just step outside. Putting on shoes and a coat every time you leave the house grows old really fast.

The coldest night was Saturday the 2nd. We visited the Sears Tower and opted to go at night to see the city lights. It was positively frigid. As you can see in this photo, it was all of five degrees Fahrenheit outside. To top it off, there was a stiff wind. Later, as we were eating, I overheard the weatherman saying wind chills were between 10 and 20 below zero.

I wasn't unprepared. I knew it was going to be near zero, so I had on two shirts, a sweater, a coat, a scarf, a beanie, gloves, two pairs of socks and insulated shoes. The part of me that was covered was warm enough with all that on, but the small exposed area on my face near my eyes was not. The cold actually hurt my skin. It wasn't just because I'm not used to it either. The Chicago peeps I was with were just as miserable.

Oh Chicago...you're an awesome city. Why must your weather suck so hard?

Be the first Skynet user to comment on this ground breaking article!

  ©Skynet: California. Template by Dicas Blogger.

Top